The Law Offices of Sevag Nigoghosian.

500 N. Central Ave.
Suite 840
Glendale, CA  91203

T. (818) 956-1111
F. (818) 956-1983

Personal Injury
Auto Accidents
Medical Malpractice
Criminal Defense
Family Law
Estate Planning
Living Trusts

Personal Injury

If you have been seriously injured, you deserve an attorney with experience, knowledge, resources and proven results to assist you.

The Law Offices of Sevag Nigoghosian is focused, aggressive, and experienced, having helped thousands of personal injury victims find justice. And we are not done yet. We can help you assess, file and win your personal injury claim and get the justice you deserve. We are offering a free, completely confidential consultation to interested parties who think they may have a valid personal injury claim. Interested in your free consultation? Call The Law Offices of Sevag Nigoghosian today.

No Fee Unless We Win!

You pay us nothing unless we win your case. At The Law Offices of Sevag Nigoghosian, all of our legal services in personal injury cases are handled on a contingency fee basis.  Fees are not charged for the initial consultation or subsequent work unless we recover money for your injuries or loss. In the event we are unable to recover damages for your costs, you will not be charged for our time or costs associated with your case. For more information on how we can help you with your personal injury matter, contact us today and schedule a free consultation.

  • Motor Vehicle Accidents
  • Premises Liability Cases
  • Dog Bites and Animal Attacks
  • Products Liability Cases
  • Wrongful Death Claims
  • Slip and Fall Cases

The statistics are chilling, every hour, there are believed to be over 11,000 personal injury accidents in the United States. And the danger might not be as far from home as you think. From unsafe foods and untested products to car and truck accidents, burns, assaults, dog bites and even poisoning, risk abounds, and so does personal injury.

Defined as an injury to the body or mind, a personal injury can be caused on purpose (in the case of an assault) or occur due to a third party's negligence (failure to provide safe circumstances, as in the case of an employer with unsafe work conditions or a property owner who fails to secure their property).

Aside from obtaining the best medical care possible, what can you do about personal injury? The answer is simple--fight back. State laws give personal injury victims a limited amount of time to seek justice by filing a personal injury lawsuit with the hopes of obtaining compensation for expenses such as medical bills, future medical expenses, vocational rehabilitation, and payment for emotional suffering due to personal injury. And by playing your cards properly, you can come away with a favorable jury verdict or a generous settlement to help pay for your personal injury.

Though it may be tempting to "go it alone" when it comes to filing and litigating your personal injury claim, it's a better idea to seek professional personal injury attorneys.

Experienced personal injury attorneys such as The Law Offices of Sevag Nigoghosian not only have what it takes to deal with paperwork, courtroom politics and trial procedures, we also have access to expert witnesses, doctors, and other resources that can help ensure your victory in court or at the settlement table.

Our attorneys are committed to protecting your rights. Each and every lawyer at our firm is innovative, aggressive, and result-oriented when serving the diverse legal needs of our clients.

Free California Case Review – Call (818)956-1111


I was injured in an accident, now what?
The first thing to do is to have your injuries treated.  If you do not have money to go to the doctor, some doctor’s will still treat you and wait for payment after you file a lawsuit.  If you do have the money to pay, then you can later make a claim against the person who injured you to pay your medical bills.

If I hire The Law Offices of Sevag Nigoghosian, who will pay the expenses of my legal case?
Our policy is to advance expenses if we accept your case. We get our costs back when your case settles. There are some exceptions to this rule.

What is the statute of limitation in California in a personal injury case?
For adults it is two years from the date of the injury.  You have to either settle the case or file a lawsuit to protect the statute of limitations. People under 18 years old (minors) get until their 20th birthday.  There are many exceptions to these rules.  If the defendant in your case is a California governmental entity, you must file a claim for damages with that specific governmental entity within six months of the accident date. The governmental entity rule applies to both adults and minors. In uninsured motorist cases, the statute is two years for both adults and minors. In almost every category of case there are exceptions to the usual rules. To be sure of the statute of limitations in your case, consult The Law Offices of Sevag Nigoghosian. We give free consultations. There is no obligation to you.

What determines how much my case is worth?
There's no magic formula, but generally, the more serious the injury, the more the case is worth. Of course, the person or company that caused your accident has to have enough insurance and/or assets to pay that value. The clearer the liability the better your case is.  Thus the value of a case is based on the combination of the severity of the injury and the liability of the defendant. Along with that person's ability to pay.

If I don't have health insurance how can I get medical treatment for my injuries?
Some health care providers including board certified medical specialists, hospitals, MRI centers, pharmacists, etc. are willing to provide health care services to our clients on a lien basis. They will wait until the conclusion of the case to get paid. Many of our clients choose this option even if they have health coverage.  An HMO or PPO is also entitled to be paid back from the proceeds of your case which means that obtaining private health care on a lien is an attractive option. Therefore, the choice of medical providers becomes what is most convenient for you and where you will get the best case.

How long does an injury case take from the time of the accident until it is concluded?
In general, the more serious the injury and the more complicated the facts, the longer the case takes. Simple rear end traffic accidents with minimal injuries usually take only a few months to resolve. Multi-party cases with serious injuries usually take between one and two years to complete.

In a traffic accident where liability is clear, will the insurance company pay for my car repair before I finish my medical treatment?
Yes, that is almost always the case. You would also be entitled to a rental car until your car is repaired. If you don't rent a car, you are entitled to a "loss of use" payment to you for the equivalent rental value of your car for the period of time you are deprived of its use.

If I fall and hurt myself on someone else's property, do they have to pay me for my injuries?
It depends on why you fell. To collect money damages, you will have to prove that the property owner was negligent. Common situations involve retailers allowing spills to remain on the sales floor after they learn about them. Other common slip/trip and fall situations usually involve uneven sidewalks, stairs, missing or detached hand rails, leaking refrigerated cases in supermarkets, and countless other unique situations. Each slip and fall has to be evaluated based on its individual facts.  As in most cases, it always helps to get witnesses and to take photographs if possible.

If I am hurt while participating in a sport, can I get paid for my injuries?
Usually not. In the State of California, we have a rule of law called "assumption of the risk" which usually, but not always, prohibits recovery from the party that caused your injury in a sport accident. There are many exceptions to this rule and especially if you have a serious sports injury, you should always consult an attorney to advise you as to whether you are one of the exceptions.

Should I give a statement to the other person's insurance company?
Not until you have consulted with an Attorney. They have already heard their own insured's version of the accident. If their insurer told them he or she was not at fault, you have no chance of convincing the claims adjuster that you were in the right and their insured was in the wrong. Usually the person at an insurance company who takes statements has been taught  how to ask questions in a way that may omit facts important to your case and make your answers somewhat distorted. In addition, if you have to go to court, that statement you gave the insurance adjuster can be used to impeach you. For instance, if you give a statement on the day after the accident and say that only your neck hurts, and a few days later you realize your shoulder also hurts, that contradiction would be used against you when you try to prove your shoulder injury in court.

If I caused the accident can I still collect for my injuries?
California has comparative negligence. That means if you were 25% at fault for an accident, you can still collect 75% of the value of your case.  Therefore, the answer is yes, you can collect for your injuries even if the accident was partly your fault.

If I lose time from work, will the other person's insurance company pay me for lost earnings even though I am collecting sick leave or disability?
Yes. If you have to dip into your sick leave or disability account the insurance company is not allowed to take credit or deduct that from your settlement.

In a traffic accident case, how can I get paid if the responsible party didn't have insurance?
You can collect for your own bodily injuries through your own insurance policy if you have what is called "uninsured motorist" coverage. You can get your vehicle fixed under your collision coverage. You can get your medical bills paid by your Med Pay coverage or your health insurance. Your lost earnings may be paid by State Disability Insurance.  All motor vehicle liability insurance policies sold in California are required to include uninsured motorist coverage unless you sign a waiver deleting it. Making a claim under the uninsured motorist coverage is tricky and you should have a lawyer represent you.

What financial compensation can I get in a Personal Injury Claim?
Depending on the type and extent of your personal injury, you may be eligible for compensatory damages for all losses and expenses you incur, and punitive damages. Compensatory damages may include the recovery of money for Medical bills; Lost Wages; Pain & Suffering; Physical Disability; Disfigurement; Permanent Scars; Emotional Trauma; Mental Anguish; Loss of Enjoyment; Loss of Love & Affection Mental Disability; Property Damage; and All out of pocket expenses (transportation charges, house cleaning, and others). Punitive damages are damages that a jury or judge can impose on a defendant for the purpose of punishing the defendant.

> Back to Top

Font Size: [+] [–]

©Copyright 2010 The Law Offices of Sevag Nigoghosian. All rights reserved.

Conditions of Use  |  Legal Notices