The Law Offices of Sevag Nigoghosian.

500 N. Central Ave.
Suite 840
Glendale, CA  91203

T. (818) 956-1111
F. (818) 956-1983

Personal Injury
Auto Accidents
Medical Malpractice
Criminal Defense
Family Law
Estate Planning
Living Trusts

Criminal Defense

Don’t Settle for a Guilty Plea! The Law Offices of Sevag Nigoghosian are Ready to Go to Trial Seeking a “NOT GUILTY” Verdict.

If you or someone you know has been accused, charged, or arrested for a crime and need honest, practical legal advice from a reliable criminal defense attorney, call today to discuss your options. Your initial consultation is FREE.

Your Criminal Defense Attorney Makes All The Difference in your case.

Every criminal defense attorney at The Law Offices of Sevag Nigoghosian has the reputation for aggressively representing individuals facing misdemeanor or felony charges. Our ability to analyze and evaluate cases, prepare strong defenses and obtain favorable outcomes is well known. Do not settle for a guilty plea; being charged and convicted of a crime can lead to job loss, a criminal record and jail time.

Here’s why we are the right California Criminal Defense Attorneys for you:

  • You can call us anytime and we will return your call within 24 hours.
  • We will give you a free initial consultation and figure out what action should be taken.
  • No case is too big or too small?—we handle criminal cases ranging from simple misdemeanors to serious felonies.
  • We will attempt to get you out of jail without posting bail or alternatively, we will argue for a bail reduction.
  • We will not “dump” your case on the 1st or 2nd court appearance by entering a “guilty” or “no contest” plea. Many California criminal attorneys who charge low fees plead their clients out on the 1st or 2nd court appearance.
  • We will attempt to have your case dismissed prior to charges being filed or alternatively, if the case is filed we will attempt to reduce the charges.
  • If your case goes to trial, we will seek a “Not Guilty” verdict—a criminal defense lawyer who is willing and prepared for trial often obtains a better result than a lawyer who simply “negotiates pleas.”
  • We will keep you informed at all times regarding your case.
  • We will guide you through the confusing processes of the criminal justice system.
  • We will attempt to keep you out of jail by seeking sentencing alternatives such as house arrest / electronic monitoring, Community Service, and/or drug rehabilitation and counseling.
  • We will provide aggressive defense representation from start to finish.

Felony or misdemeanor charges must be addressed promptly and aggressively by an experienced, skilled criminal defense lawyer who understands California law and knows the criminal justice system. Let The Law Offices of Sevag Nigoghosian put it's many years of experience to work for you to secure a favorable resolution of your case.

Under California law YOU HAVE RIGHTS! We are here to guarantee they are fully protected. Call us to discuss your legal matter today. The consultation is free.

Free California Case Review – Call (818)956-1111.


What is a felony?
Felonies are serious offenses. A felony conviction can result in imprisonment for at least one year (sometimes much longer), fines, and probation.  Felony convictions can also make it more difficult to find a job, obtain a security clearance, rent an apartment, or get a loan. (You also won't be able to own a gun for ten years and can't vote if in prison or on parole.) What is a misdemeanor?

A misdemeanor conviction can result in up to one year in jail, fines, and community service. They are less serious offenses than felonies. 

What will happen on my first court date and do I have to be there if I have a lawyer?
The first court date is called an arraignment. On this day a plea will be entered to the charges (guilty, not guilty or no contest). Usually, the police reports and a list of charges (Complaint) are obtained. The defendant in misdemeanor cases will usually not have to be present if represented by an attorney. In felony cases the defendant must appear.

I was arrested for Spousal Battery but my wife was upset and says she made a mistake when she called the police. Can she have the domestic violence charges against me dropped?
No, only the District Attorney can drop the charges against you and this is unlikely to occur. A victim of domestic violence or what is commonly called spousal or co-habitant battery often attempts to recant the statement they made to police in order to have the charges dropped against an abusive spouse. In the past this has led to a cycle of continuous abuse. The District Attorney's Office prefers to file charges and let the courts decide issues of domestic violence.

The police did not read me my rights, will my case be dismissed?
Law enforcement personnel are required to read you your "Miranda rights" only if two criteria are met. You must be in custody (usually "arrested"), and you must be interrogated (questioned about the details of the crime). A Miranda warning violation does not automatically result in the dismissal of a case. The statements that you made after the violation would be suppressed and not admissible as evidence.

I only took a small item from the store. Why have I been charged with burglary and not shoplifting?
The key distinction between being charged with burglary (entering a structure with the intent to steal) and shoplifting (petty theft) is when was the intent to steal formed in their mind. Essentially, if a person enters the store with the prior intent to steal something then they are committing burglary. If they enter for other reasons and decide in the store to simply take an item of small value then it is petty theft. Intent is the key element that must be established for a burglary charge. Intent is often established by being in possession of false receipts and already having empty bags to place stolen items, etc.

Why am I being charged with DUI if I did not drink, I only smoked a little marijuana?
In California DUI includes drugs as well as alcohol. Suspicion of driving while under the influence of drugs, including marijuana, may be proper grounds for a charge of DUI.

The police spelled my name wrong on the citation, will my charges be dismissed?
No, a harmless error of this type on a traffic citation will not result in a dismissal of the charges.

I did not give police permission to search my vehicle. Is this a violation of my rights and an illegal search?
In most cases no. Police need probable cause to suspect that the vehicle contains contraband or instrumentalities of a crime. There is a lesser expectation of privacy in vehicles and searches incident to an arrest are also allowed. Officers can search the entire passenger cabin, and in some cases may even open any containers and packages if there is probable cause that it may contain contraband.

Why should I pay for a lawyer when I can get a Public Defender for free?
In order to qualify for the services of a Public Defender you must establish to the court's satisfaction that you are indigent (unable to afford to hire your own attorney). A Public Defender is an attorney assigned to a specific courtroom to handle all of the cases that day for the indigents who did not retain an attorney to represent them. Public Defenders are almost always very dedicated and may be experienced in your type of case. However, your case would be just one of many. Usually, hiring your own  defense lawyer provides you with the most experienced attorney who can provide you with the best possible investigation and defense of your case and you are the sole focus of your attorney.

How can I be charged with carrying a concealed weapon when the gun was not even loaded?
A gun is considered a weapon even if it is not loaded. It is often difficult to distinguish between loaded and unloaded guns. In the interest of safety the law makes carrying a concealed weapon (that is to carry a gun that is hidden from view) a crime even if it is unloaded.

Why am I being charged with battery when I did not hit him, I only grabbed his arm.
A criminal battery is defined as the unlawful application of force to the person of another. A hit, punch or kick is not required just an offensive touching of another is considered a battery.

I only hit him with a bottle how can I be charged with assault with a deadly weapon.?
A bottle or essentially any instrumentality can be viewed as a deadly weapon as long as its use or intent was to inflict harm to another.

What is a civil compromise?
In some cases where there is only monetary loss associated with a crime. If so, an agreement can be made between the victim and defendant to pay restitution for any damages that occurred (civil compromise). Upon approval by the court of this agreement the criminal charges will be dismissed.

If the girl told me she was 18 how can I be charged with Rape if she lied?
Statutory Rape is a per se violation of the law. Lack of knowledge of the true age of the victim is not a defense. Also, persons under the age of 18 do not have the legal ability to consent to sexual intercourse and consent is not a defense.

If I am convicted of solicitation of prostitution will I have to register as a sex offender?
Generally, no. However, depending upon the circumstances of your solicitation of prostitution arrest there may be other charges (lewd conduct, indecent exposure, unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor, etc.) that could result in requiring sex offender registration and jail time.

What is an expungement and will it clear up my record?
Adult misdemeanor convictions can be expunged under Penal Code section 1203.4. This is not "cleaning" up your record exactly, Essentially what happens is that the court in its discretion and in the interests of justice sets aside the guilty verdict or guilty or no contest plea. This has the effect of dismissing the conviction. The expungement does not apply to all misdemeanors and does not relieve the petitioner from disclosing the conviction in response to any direct questionnaire or application for public office, for licensure by any government agency. After an expungement, the previous conviction would not need to be disclosed to a prospective private employer.

> Back to Top

Font Size: [+] [–]

©Copyright 2010 The Law Offices of Sevag Nigoghosian. All rights reserved.

Conditions of Use  |  Legal Notices